Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Music

I love music, I'm sure you must love music. I'm not talking about voices and singing. I am talking about the notes and symphonies of all types of instruments. Now we've established we all enjoy music, but have you ever thought about why you enjoy it, why it's pleasurable. Well I'll consider two things: why we enjoy listening to music, and why we enjoy making music(since I do both).
So music, when broken down to its simplest form is vibrations in the air just like speech but more prolonged and these vibrations are channeled and controlled by things we call instruments. These vibrations are tuned and controlled in a way that produces a sound pleasing to the ear of any human being when played correctly. But WHY do we find it pleasing what does it do for us, emotionally? physically? mentally? spiritually? Let's discuss. The vibrations obviously when not to high or to low or to loud are physically pleasing the eardrum just because the vibrations are not at any extreme, that was the simple one. Emotionally, music can alter us very easily. We've grown up our entire lives listening to music usually backing a tv program or a movie that we are watching, this has shaped what kinds of music we associate with what kinds of emotions are going on. But even before this slow feeble chords have been able to jerk a tear from our eyes, and fast heavy chords have been able to get our adrenaline pumping...but why? I think that we are all on the same frequency and it's universal. Our hearts beat at a steady pace(when not excited of course), and this is not the only instance of this steady beat that we can see in life, look around you and everything runs on this concept. This is the reason music exists the way it does and no other way. This is sounding really cliche I know. Anyways, when we listen to music our internal "pacemaker"(metaphorically of course) tries to match the frequency of the song. Depending on our current emotional state, this frequency can match up instantly take a longer time to sync up and then sometimes be so far off it doesn't match up and won't until our emotions change. These different frequencies are our infinite emotional states we face in life. If you would like to put it this way: music has emotions of its own, It sounds like personification but it's really just the truth. Damn this has taken a dive, and I figured it would improve but I'm going to post it anyway...I apologize all I will regather my thoughts and come back to blow your minds again in the next new post.

1 comment:

  1. I really hate this one but thats ok. I will redo it later.

    ReplyDelete